Thursday, August 21, 2008

My First Day of School♦

WHOA!! Am I old enough to be a grown up and have a real job and be a real teacher? YEP! I guess I am. Last night was Back to School Night. Lynette was very generous and made chocolate chip cookies for me to give to those who came. It was pretty nerve racking to meet all the families in that short amount of time. But I made it through and the cookies were a big hit. I was finishing things up and saw someone walk in from the corner of my eye. I thought "oh no, another parent-I was hoping to leave" When I looked over, it was RYAN! That couldn't have been a better surprise. Maybe I should have gone to bed, but we went and saw "Batman" instead. Very good movie, unfortunately I missed the last thirty minutes due to sleep deprivation...I woke up 7:00 this morning and just couldn't get out of bed. I finally managed to thirty minutes later which made it so there was no time to read scriptures together. My goal was to be ready by 8:00 so I could get a few more things done before the students came. Good thing I set that goal because I didn't leave until 8:25. I asked Randon to give me a blessing. Good choice! I felt so much better after that and I knew that the Lord was on my side, or I am on His side. When Randon walked out the door to go to work, he saw a gift from Onalee for me. She gave me a card and a lunch box. So nice!!

From First Day of School

Everyone at the school was so kind and helpful. Everyone that saw me asked me how my first day was going and gave me encouragement and support. Most of you know that I cry alot, so you understand the magnitude of me saying that I DIDN'T EVEN FEEL LIKE CRYING! NOT ONCE! Now that is an accomplishment. :) I am so grateful to be working at Summit Elementary. The faculty and staff are really super nice. There is still so much work to be done...filing, filing, filing...too many papers floating around. But I have great hopes for this year. My students seem to be really excited about school. I have two that come in and out because of learning disabilities so I am excited to learn from them as well. Trudy, the principal, told me today that I am the one that will be receiving the new move-in students because I only have 23 enrolled in my class. Everyone else has 26 or 27. They entered in the computer that the students will special needs are mine, when they actually aren't. Anyway, if that is confusing to you...just think how I feel.

To make this day even better, my sweetheart, Ryan, sent me the most beautiful roses with a sweet note. Man, I love him! I stayed at school until 4:30 pm and am very tired. I have tomorrow all planned and that is about it. Baby steps-one day at a time. I am so super excited to start this school year and find out what the Lord has in store for me to learn. I am really truly blessed and another added bonus...I have health and dental insurance and a monthly INCOME!! And did I mention I have the most thoughtful boyfriend EVER?! Well, I do!

15 comments:

Louise said...

congratulations on completing your first day. It all seems so overwhelming from where I am. I don't know how I will ever make it. sounds like you have a good staff to work with. You'll be an experienced teacher by the time I'm done. So I'll be calling you for advise.
speaking of special needs students...As I was going through walmart today, I heard a loud excited voice coming from the men's dept. I looked over to see a man about 50 years old hoping like a bunny between the rakes of clothes with his caretaker following quickly behind calling "David. Stop, David." So here's this big guy, behaving like a little kid. lol I am still laughing about it.

Jen Jarrett said...

It sounds like a wonderful day! I am so happy! You are going to be an amazing teacher and you looked WAY CUTE of course! I am also very happy that you didn't think of crying... not once! YAY!!!! That must mean that things are going so well! Hip-hip- HURRAY!!!!!!

Leighann and Jamie said...

good job Lorna!!!! They still don't know they won the teacher Lotto :) I hope all your days at just as happy. It helps that you have surrounded yourself with super friends. I am thankful for that, since I am not there.
Great idea, Lynette, for thinking of cookies... you always think of the extras that make it that much more special.

Sally's Stories` said...

WOW! I dont know what else to say. Everybody already said it. You'll be an awesome teacher, the kids will love you, the parents will love you, Ryan will love you, and so will I. Well, some of us already do, of course. Somehow I always come up on the short stick in thoughtful things to do. Good job to Lynette, Ryan and Onalee!. I love the "teacher lotto" thing. So true. Funny story from Louise :)

Sally's Stories` said...

Hey! I just thought of something --- Dont we have a picture of you standing in the same place, on your other first day of school? about 19 years ago? You were cute then, too.

Lori said...

Congrats!!! So, I was waiting to hear if you had that moment of panic like I did so many years ago. You stand at the front of the room with what seems like a bagillion eyes looking you over and you think, "I'M NOT OLD ENOUGH TO BE DOING THIS!!!" You gulp hard and think, "From this point, it's sink or swim." And then you smile, greet the class and start swimming like there's no tomorrow. :)

Love you!

Tell Ryan to get a blog so we can get to know him. :)

Kawa Rangers said...

Congrats. You look so cute. I'm sure I never had that cute and stylish of a teacher.

Travis, Heather, Dominik, and Jackson said...

Holy cow, you are all grown up. Look at you being all responsible with a teaching job and everything!! I am so, so, so very proud of you. You are such an inspiration to me! I miss you soooo much!! Make sure to keep me in the loop and let me know what is going on with you and your cute boy. I better get an invitation if a certain question is popped!!!

Love you, Heather

Jen Jarrett said...

I can't wait for you & Ryan to get married!

Leighann and Jamie said...

we got our teacher assignments. Savanah got exactly who she wanted and Garrett is playing the teacher lotto. His teacher apparentl was on of the kindergarten teachers last year that didn't do so hot. So 4th grade with be more her speed or she just plain sticks.. we'll see. -Leighann

Lisa Lou said...

You look super cute! I'm sure your kids love you!

Unknown said...

I'm proud of you Lorna. No matter how hard it gets, keep in mind the future leaders of tomorrow are depending on you to show them the way. Like you didn't have enough stress already. HAHAHA!! You'll be fine. One last thing, NOT 'TILL I MEET HIM!!!

Leighann and Jamie said...

12 comments so far, I think you win for the most comments received in a single blog. Anyone going to argue who is the favorite now?

Robanske Family said...

just because of that Leighann, I'm not leaving a comment...J/K Hte greatest job is one you work hark to obtain and even harder to do well, Lorna, you've done it, we're all behind you!

Kara said...

You look so cute! I haven't seen you in forever. We need to get together.